`Genetic variants linked to bigger brain, higher IQ`
Washington: It`s believed that the bigger brains are smarter ones. Now scientists have found two genes that not only affect the brain size and intelligence, but also your risk of developing cognitive disorders like Alzheimer`s.
The study, the world`s largest brain research conducted by an international team of over 200 scientists, measured the size of the brain and its memory centers in thousands of MRI images from 21,151 healthy people, while simultaneously screening their DNA.
They found two genetic variants -- one that appears to be associated with overall brain size and another that was linked to the volume of the hippocampus, or memory centre, which typically shrinks in people with dementia.
"We found fairly unequivocal proof supporting a genetic link to brain function and intelligence. For the first time, we have watertight evidence of how these genes affect the brain," lead researcher Paul Thompson, a neurologist at the University of California at Los Angeles was quoted as saying by LiveScience.
The researchers involved in the Enhancing Neuro Imaging Genetics through Meta-Analysis (ENIGMA) Consortium scoured the data for single genes that influence disease risk as well as for genes linked to brain-tissue atrophy and brain size.
Brains shrink naturally with age, but size is important in a number of mental ailments. Decreased brain volume marks disorders including Alzheimer`s disease, depression and schizophrenia, the researchers reported in the journal Nature Genetics.
For example, the hippocampus is the part of the brain linked to memory formation and organisation, and the team found a gene sequence called rs7294919 on chromosome 12 that is linked to variations in hippocampus volume.
Every instance of a genetic variant called a T-allele in this region was linked to lower hippocampus volume equivalent to 3.9 years of ageing, the researchers said.
Another notable genetic sequence located within the HMGA2 gene on chromosome 12 was found to have association with the intracranial volume -- the space inside the skull that marks the outer limit as to how big your brain can get.
At this spot, every C-allele variant was linked to not only lower intracranial volume, but also to lower IQ scores on the Multidimensional Aptitude Battery -- a measure of intelligence.
"This is a really exciting discovery: that a single letter change leads to a bigger brain," said Thompson.
Going forward, Thompson said, researchers could start to figure out how to mediate these genes` influences on the brain. The genes influence brains across a wide subset of people from North America, Europe and Australia means that drug therapies targeting these genes could have broad applications, the researchers said.
The team now plans to tackle the genes that influence the brain`s wiring, in hope to unravel the secrets of connectivity-related disorders such as autism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800