Man goes blind after using herbal eye drops
Bangkok: A Thai man whose sight was affected due to an accident has lost his vision after using herbal medicine.
Thailand's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Deputy Secretary Pathom Sawanpanyalert said ophthalmologists have informed authorities about the incident.
The 41-year-old man developed a severe infection in his left eye after using the herbal drops, the Bangkok Post reported.
An eye specialist who operated on the infected eye said bacteria pseudomonas aeruginosa was found in the eye and also in the herbal medicine he was using.
Pathom said the bacteria was the main reason for the infection of the retina which resulted in blindness. The herbal eye drops did not have FDA approval, which was required.
The label stated that the eye drops could be used for the relief of pinkeye, trachoma and cataracts, but there is no information about the ingredients.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon