Men who smoke less need joint replacement surgery
Washington: A new study has revealed that men who smoke are at a lesser risk of undergoing total joint replacement surgery than those who never smoked.
Researchers also found that men who were overweight, or who engaged in vigorous physical activity were more likely to need arthroplasty.
George Mnatzaganian, a PhD student from the University of Adelaide in Australia, and colleagues examined the associations of smoking, body mass index (BMI), and physical activity as they relate to risk of joint replacement surgery in men.
Clinical data for the 11,388 male study participants, who were part of the Health in Men Study (HIMS), were integrated with hospital morbidity data and mortality records.
During the initial health screening (1996-1999), HIMS subjects were surveyed regarding smoking history and physical activity.
Analysis showed that being overweight independently increased total joint replacement risk, while smoking lowered the risk, which was most evident after 23 years of smoking exposure.
In fact, men who smoked 48 years or more were up to 51percent less likely to undergo total joint replacements than those who never smoked.
The team also reported that vigorous exercise increased risk of joint replacement in men in the 70-74 year age group.
Details of this study are now available in Arthritis and Rheumatism, a journal published by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the American College of Rheumatology (ACR).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands