More toxic chemicals damaging kids` brains: Study
Washington: Researchers have said that industrial chemicals, heavy metals and pesticides are derailing normal brain development and robbing kids and society of dollars, IQ points and future potential.
Dr. Philippe Grandjean, one of the co-authors, said that the world is facing a "chemical brain drain."
Grandjean has spent decades to investigate chemicals capable of damaging the developing brain. He started with lead, then mercury.
Grandjean said that the line-up has now grown to a dozen "bona fide brain drainers" asserting that's twice as many chemicals as he and co-author Philip Landrigan, chairman of the department of preventative medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City, listed in their first review of the science in 2006.
Joining methylmercury, lead, arsenic, PCBs, toluene and ethanol, according to the authors' updated list, are manganese, fluoride, DDT, chlorpyrifos, tetrachloroethylene and polybrominated biphenyl ethers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Cambodian passenger train back on track post years-long hiatus
- Europe could learn from India in tackling migrant crisis: Australian official
- Take this quiz to find out how did you pass away in your last life!
- Indian Premier League: Vizag named as neutral venue for Mumbai Indians, Pune Supergiants
- Check out! Mark Zuckerberg shares adorable images of his dog Beast!