Moving around for extra 10 mins can cut heart disease risk
Washington: Moving around for an extra 10 minutes each day may reduce the risk of heart disease by 50 percent for people who have a sedentary lifestyle, experts claim.
"When I tell people that almost 80 per cent of heart disease is preventable, they are surprised," said Mayo cardiologist Martha Grogan.
"Better yet, there are daily things we all can do that can make a big difference in our effort to keep our hearts healthy," Grogan said.
Grogan encourages people to move 10 extra minutes each day.
"Moving even 10 minutes a day for someone who`s been sedentary may reduce the risk for heart disease by 50 per cent," Grogan said in a statement.
A sedentary lifestyle may increase your risk of heart attack almost as much as smoking does, studies have shown.
Each day, make an effort to get up from your desk to go talk to a colleague instead of sending an email, or walk around the house as you are talking on the phone, she recommended.
Americans too often cheat themselves of sleep and their hearts can pay the price, said Virend Somers, a Mayo Clinic cardiologist and sleep expert.
Chronic sleep deprivation can increase the risk of obesity, high blood pressure, heart attack, diabetes and depression.
Changes can make a difference, said Randal Thomas, a Mayo preventive cardiologist.
For example, a 53-year-old male smoker with high blood pressure has a 20 percent chance of having a heart attack over the next 10 years. If he stops smoking, his risk drops to 10 per cent; if he takes high blood pressure medicine, it falls to 5 percent, Thomas said.
"There`s a saying that heart disease is what nature gives you for breaking its rules. But you have a second chance. Healthy lifestyle habits can help you reduce a majority of your risks for heart attack," Thomas added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept
- Indian Premier League, Match 28: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab - Preview
- Indian Premier League, Match 29: Rising Pune Supergiants vs Mumbai Indians - Preview
- Draft Bill for statehood of Delhi is ready: CM Arvind Kejriwal
- China, Japan foreign ministers hold rare talks to reduce mistrust in ties