New technique to rid hospitals of deadly microbes
Toronto: A new technique would not only disinfect hospitals worldwide but also stop bed bug outbreaks.
"This is the future, because many hospital deaths are preventable with better cleaning methods," said Dick Zoutman, researcher at the Queen`s University.
"It has been reported that more than 100,000 people in North America die every year due to hospital acquired infections at a cost of $30 billion. That`s 100,000 people every year who are dying from largely preventable infections," Zoutman added.
The new technology involves pumping a ozone and hydrogen peroxide vapour gas mixture into a room to completely sterilize everything - including floors, walls, drapes, mattresses, chairs and other surfaces.
"It is far more effective in killing bacteria than wiping down a room. He has also used this technology to kill bed bugs," said Zoutman, according to a university statement.
A major US hotel chain has already expressed interest in the technology because of its potential to save the company millions of dollars in lost revenue and infected furniture.
Zoutman worked with Michael Shannon of Medizone International located in Innovation Park, Queen`s University.
Medizone is commercializing the technology and the first deliveries are scheduled for the first quarter of 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31