Now, a tool to detect contaminated food
Washington: Fresh food contamination can now be detected much faster and more easily, thanks to an analytical mapping tool developed by the Sandia National Labs` National Infrastructure Simulation and Analysis Centre (NISAC).
The new method utilises stochastic network mapping, which helps explain unknown factors in the distribution supply chain, occasioned by incomplete information.
Normally, tracking down the source of fresh food contamination can be difficult and time-consuming. When an outbreak occurs, experts must interview affected people to track down where food borne exposures happened, the International Journal of Critical Infrastructures reported.
Often the interviews take place weeks after the exposure, leading to inaccurate or incomplete information and making it difficult to pinpoint a likely food culprit, according to a Sandia statement.
"This is often a serious problem when there is an outbreak of food poisoning in a particular region and the healthcare authorities cannot quickly trace the source of the outbreak," said Sandia analyst, Stephen Conrad.
In 2011, sprouts were the focus of a serious E. coli outbreak in Europe, but tracing contaminated products to their source proved difficult.
Sandia researchers applied the stochastic mapping technique to test data from the fresh sprout sector in a single state in the US, using a case study of the sprout distribution system as the basis of their computational model.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31