`One mn Afghans suffer from drug addiction`
Kabul: More than one million Afghans, aged 15 to 64, are suffering from drug addiction, an official said Wednesday.
The causes of drug addiction are poverty, illiteracy, conflicts, migrations, illusions about drugs and unemployment, Xinhua quoted Mohammad Tahir Sultani, head of a drug addicts` hospital, as saying.
He was speaking to reporters following the launch of a campaign against drug use by the Afghan ministries of public health, counter-narcotics and interior affairs.
Sultani urged the government and the international community to invest more in the treatment of drug addicts and eradication of poverty.
Afghanistan remains the main producer of opium as about 90 percent of the world`s opium, the raw material used in manufacturing heroin, is produced in the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India