Ranbaxy launches generic diabetes drug in US
New Delhi: Ranbaxy Laboratories today said it has launched generic pioglitazone hydrochloride tablets used for treating diabetes in the American market under an agreement with Takeda Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.
The company`s wholly-owned subsidiary Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc has launched the drug following the expiry of patent held by Takeda Pharmaceutical.
Ranbaxy is among the three companies, including Teva and Mylan, to have 180-days of marketing exclusivity for the drug in the US market.
The Japanese firm has been selling the tablets under the brand name Actos through its US subsidiary, Takeda Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.
Commenting on the development, Ranbaxy North America Trade Sales and Distribution Vice President Bill Winter said: "Ranbaxy is making available the full range of generic pioglitazone in 15 mg, 30 mg and 45 mg tablets."
The introduction of generic pioglitazone hydrochloride tablets is a significant and important addition to the company`s portfolio of anti diabetic products in the US, he added.
Quoting IMS-MAT June 2012 data, the company said Actos had generated total annual sales of USD 2.7 billion in US market.
The product is indicated for patients as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic controls in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus, it added.
Shares of Ranbaxy Laboratories today closed at Rs 515.05 on BSE, up 0.94 per cent from its previous close.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani