Robust heart can extend lifespan by 14 years
Washington: A robust heart in the middle age may help extend your lifespan by a maximum of 14 years, than peers who have two or more cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors, says a study.
"We found that many people develop cardiovascular disease as they live into old age, but those with optimal risk factor levels live disease-free longer," said John T. Wilkins, study co-author and assistant professor of medicine and cardiology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
Researchers extracted data from five different cohorts included in the Cardiovascular Lifetime Risk Pooling Project and looked at the participants` risk of all forms of fatal and non-fatal cardiovascular disease from ages 45, 55 and 65 through 95 years of age, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) reported.
All participants were free of CVD at entry into the study and data on the following risk factors was collected: blood pressure, total cholesterol, diabetes and smoking status, according to a Northwestern statement.
The primary outcome measure for the study was any CVD event (including fatal and non-fatal coronary heart disease, all forms of stroke, congestive heart failure, and other CVD deaths).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh