Smoking linked to physical changes in youngsters` brains
Washington: A new study has revealed that young smokers may experience changes in the structures of their brains due to cigarette smoking, dependence and craving.
The study done by the researchers of UCLA has found that the brain changes can occur in those who have been smoking for relatively short time and the neurobiological changes could be the reason behind cigarette dependency in adults.
The study found that there were differences among younger smokers and non-smokers in the insula, a part of the brain's cerebral cortex that is involved in monitoring internal states and making decisions.
The researchers, by measuring the cortical thickness of the insula, found that the amount of cigarette exposure was negatively related to the thickness in the right side of the insula.
Edythe London, a professor of psychiatry and of molecular and medical pharmacology at UCLA's Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior and David Geffen School of Medicine, said that although its uncertain whether the findings represent the effects of smoking or a genetic risk factor for nicotine dependence, but the results may reflect the initial effects of cigarette smoking on the brain.
London said that the findings may also contribute to the understanding of why smoking during this developmental stage has such a profound impact on lifelong smoking behavior.
The study was published in the online edition of the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics