Smoking linked to physical changes in youngsters` brains
Washington: A new study has revealed that young smokers may experience changes in the structures of their brains due to cigarette smoking, dependence and craving.
The study done by the researchers of UCLA has found that the brain changes can occur in those who have been smoking for relatively short time and the neurobiological changes could be the reason behind cigarette dependency in adults.
The study found that there were differences among younger smokers and non-smokers in the insula, a part of the brain's cerebral cortex that is involved in monitoring internal states and making decisions.
The researchers, by measuring the cortical thickness of the insula, found that the amount of cigarette exposure was negatively related to the thickness in the right side of the insula.
Edythe London, a professor of psychiatry and of molecular and medical pharmacology at UCLA's Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior and David Geffen School of Medicine, said that although its uncertain whether the findings represent the effects of smoking or a genetic risk factor for nicotine dependence, but the results may reflect the initial effects of cigarette smoking on the brain.
London said that the findings may also contribute to the understanding of why smoking during this developmental stage has such a profound impact on lifelong smoking behavior.
The study was published in the online edition of the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!