Some bugs doze off to outwit antibiotics
Washington: Some bacteria go off to "sleep" to prevent themselves from being attacked by antibiotics which can fight only those bugs which are metabolically active.
A new research, led by Thomas Wood, professor of chemical engineering at the Texas A&M University, details this surreptitious and elaborate survival mechanism of the bugs.
"Through our research, we`re understanding that some bacteria go to `sleep`, and that antibiotics only work on bacteria that are metabolically active," Wood explains in the journal Nature Chemical Biology.
"You need actively growing bacteria to be susceptible to antibiotics. If the bacterium goes to sleep, the antibiotics are not effective because the bacterium is no longer doing the thing that the antibiotic is trying to shut down," Wood adds.
"A small community of bacteria is in a sense hedging its bet against a threat to its survival by taking another approach," Wood says, according to a Texas statement.
"To the bacteria, this is always a numbers game. In one milliliter, you can have a trillion bacterial cells, and they don`t always do the same thing under stress.
"If we can determine that this `going to sleep` is the dominant mechanism utilized by bacteria, then we can begin to figure out how to `wake them up` so that they will be more susceptible to the antibiotic.
This ideally would include simultaneously applying the antibiotic and a chemical that wakes up the bacteria. That`s the goal - a more effective antibiotic."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!