Stem cells from teeth can grow to resemble brain cells
Washington: Scientists have discovered that stem cells taken from teeth can grow to resemble brain cells.
The researchers from University of Adelaide have revealed that stem cells from teeth can develop and form complex networks of brain-like cells, but these cells haven't developed into fully fledged neurons.
Dr Kylie Ellis, Commercial Development Manager with the University's commercial arm, Adelaide Research and Innovation (ARI), said that stem cells from teeth have great potential to grow into new brain or nerve cells, and this could potentially assist with treatments of brain disorders, such as stroke.
According to the study, stem cells derived from teeth developed into cells that closely resembled neurons.
Ellis added that they can do this by providing an environment for the cells that is as close to a normal brain environment as possible, so that instead of becoming cells for teeth they become brain cells.
The researchers believe that this work with dental pulp stem cells opens up the potential for modelling many more common brain disorders in the laboratory, which could help in developing new treatments and techniques for patients.
The study was published in the journal Stem Cell Research and Therapy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani