Strand Life to set up lab for genomics
Bangalore: Leading biotech firm Strand Life Sciences Ltd is setting up a laboratory here for translational research in genomics and personalised medicine.
The Mazumdar-Shaw Medical Foundation of Biocon Ltd chairperson Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw will partner with the project with an unspecified grant of funds.
"The laboratory will make genomics-based diagnostics accessible and affordable to even ordinary people. The facility will also create an ecosystem to treat patients with cancer and other genetic diseases," Strand Life said in a statement here Monday.
According to the latest World Health Organisation (WHO) report, around 700,000 Indians die of cancer every year, while a million are diagnosed with some form the disease.
"As 477,000 men and 537,000 women were diagnosed with cancer symptoms across the country in 2012, the challenge require the healthcare sector to use affordability to drive innovation," Strand Life chief executive Vijay Chandru said in the statement.
The hi-tech lab will be located in the Mazumdar-Shaw Centre for Translational Research on outskirts of the city's southern suburb.
"With evolving healthcare systems, it is imperative we innovate and develop capabilities to provide personalised treatment and quality care to patients," Shaw said on the occasion.
Strand will do genomic testing for cancer and other germline/hereditary conditions at affordable cost.
The collaboration will also promote research in genomics and conduct medical and non-medical programmes, seminars and assist clinicians and scientists in performing quality research.
"Partnership with Biocon provides us with an opportunity to conduct and promote research in genomic sequencing based diagnostics," said Chandru.
Strand has developed a hereditary breast cancer diagnostic test cheaper than comparable tests in the West.
"Similar innovative tests will be developed in the lab for affordable diagnosis," Chandru added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh