Study shows how brain forms memories
Washington: Scientists have discovered how memories are stored in specific brain cells. The new study also pinpoints how these incidents are recalled.
Using a video game in which people navigate through a virtual town delivering objects to specific locations, a team of neuroscientists from the University of Pennsylvania and Freiburg University has discovered how brain cells that encode spatial information form "geotags" for specific memories, and are activated immediately before those memories are recalled.
Their work showed how spatial information is incorporated into memories, and why remembering an experience can quickly bring other events to mind that happened in the same place, reports the Science Daily.
"These findings provide the first direct neural evidence for the idea that the human memory system tags memories with information about where and when they were formed, and that the act of recall involves the reinstatement of these tags," said Michael Kahana, professor of psychology in Penn's School of Arts and Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly