UNICEF launches mobile app for breastfeeding in China
Beijing: UNICEF China has launched a mobile application that enables its users to locate breastfeeding rooms in public places in different cities.
The mobile application is part of the "10 Square Metres of Love" breastfeeding advocacy campaign launched by Unicef and the National Centre for Women and Children' s Health under the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention in June 2013, Xinhua reported.
The drive aims to locate, register, certify and publicise breastfeeding rooms, both for employees during work hours and for patrons and customers in public buildings and stores.
Available as free to download on iPhones and iPads, the app shows the physical location of all breastfeeding rooms registered in the campaign and allows users to locate the nearest breastfeeding room through their smartphones' GPS function.
"The mobile app not only makes it easier for the public to find registered breastfeeding rooms, it will gradually make breastfeeding - the best source of infant nutrition known to man - more visible and more supported by society," said Tim Sutton, deputy representative of UNICEF China.
In addition to showing the location of every registered "10 Square Meters of Love" breastfeeding space, the app allows users to give ratings to the breastfeeding rooms.
It also provides answers to frequently asked questions about breastfeeding as well as a directory of breastfeeding peer support groups and counsellors.
According to UNICEF, a total of 276 "10 Square Metres of Love" breastfeeding rooms and spaces have been established in 52 Chinese cities.
About 217 of the rooms are open to the public and another 59 set up in companies and workplaces for employees' usage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda