Diabetic patients should have low carb diets: Study
Washington: A new study has revealed that diet with low carbohydrates is good for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes patients.
Researchers from the University of Alabama at Birmingham offered 12 points of evidence showing that low-carbohydrate diets should be the first line of attack for treatment of Type 2 diabetes, and should be used in conjunction with insulin in those with Type 1 diabetes.
Barbara Gower, Ph.D., professor and vice chair for research in the UAB Department of Nutrition Sciences, stated that diabetes was a disease of carbohydrate intolerance and reducing carbohydrates was the obvious treatment.
He further added that it was the standard approach before insulin was discovered and was, in fact, practiced with good results in many institutions, but the resistance of government and private health agencies has been very hard to understand.
The researchers pointed out that dietary carbohydrate restriction had the greatest effect on decreasing blood glucose levels because the high blood sugar was the most salient feature of diabetes.
Gower said that for many people with Type 2 diabetes, low-carbohydrate diets were a real cure as they no longer needed drugs and had symptoms and also, their blood glucose was normal and they generally lost weight.
The authors cautioned that people with diabetes who were already on drugs for Type 2 diabetes or were on standard amounts of insulin should undertake conversion to a low-carbohydrate diet only with the help of a physician because the diet might have a similar sugar-lowering effect, it is critical that drug doses be tapered off in order to avoid dangerous low blood sugar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly