Fatty food may lead to loss of smell
New York: Stuffing yourself regularly with pizza or hamburger or any other high-fat food can put you at the risk of losing sense of smell, research warns.
In a study examining how high-fat foods impacted smell, neuroscientists from Florida State University found that high-fat diet is linked to major structural and functional changes in the olfactory system, which gives us our sense of smell.
In lab experiments, mice were given a high-fat daily diet while also being taught to associate between a particular odour and a reward (water).
Mice that were fed the high-fat diets were slower to learn the association than the control population.
When researchers introduced a new odour to monitor their adjustment, the mice with the high-fat diets could not rapidly adapt, demonstrating reduced smell capabilities.
"Moreover, when high-fat-reared mice were placed on a diet of control food during which they returned to normal body weight and blood chemistry, mice still had reduced olfactory capacities," Debra Ann Fadool, a biological science professor at Florida State University, explained.
Mice exposed to high-fat diets only had 50 percent of the neurons that could operate to encode odour signals.
It is the first time researchers had been able to demonstrate a solid link between a bad diet and a loss of smell.
"This opens up a lot of possibilities for obesity research," said post-doctoral researcher Nicolas Thiebaud.
Their work is published in the Journal of Neuroscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves