Fatty food may lead to loss of smell
New York: Stuffing yourself regularly with pizza or hamburger or any other high-fat food can put you at the risk of losing sense of smell, research warns.
In a study examining how high-fat foods impacted smell, neuroscientists from Florida State University found that high-fat diet is linked to major structural and functional changes in the olfactory system, which gives us our sense of smell.
In lab experiments, mice were given a high-fat daily diet while also being taught to associate between a particular odour and a reward (water).
Mice that were fed the high-fat diets were slower to learn the association than the control population.
When researchers introduced a new odour to monitor their adjustment, the mice with the high-fat diets could not rapidly adapt, demonstrating reduced smell capabilities.
"Moreover, when high-fat-reared mice were placed on a diet of control food during which they returned to normal body weight and blood chemistry, mice still had reduced olfactory capacities," Debra Ann Fadool, a biological science professor at Florida State University, explained.
Mice exposed to high-fat diets only had 50 percent of the neurons that could operate to encode odour signals.
It is the first time researchers had been able to demonstrate a solid link between a bad diet and a loss of smell.
"This opens up a lot of possibilities for obesity research," said post-doctoral researcher Nicolas Thiebaud.
Their work is published in the Journal of Neuroscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi