Junk food can damage your memory in just six days
Sydney: Junk food not only hurts your health but also your memory, according to a new study.
The study by Margaret Morris, the head of pharmacology at the University of NSW, has found that eating a diet loaded with saturated fat and sugar may have an immediate effect on the brain's cognitive ability and may cause memory loss.
Morris examined memory in rats and found that exposure to junk food over just six days reduced spatial recognition or ability to notice when an object had been moved to a new location, Sydney Morning Herald reported.
Morris found that after consuming a high sugar and fat diet for one week, the hippocampus, the brain structure which is critical for learning and memory, had increased inflammation.
The study also suggested that the damage was not reversed when the rats were switched back to a healthy diet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today