Love of coffee could hook you on drugs
London: Love of coffee could also get you hooked on drugs -- so beware, warn scientists.
Those who respond well to caffeine, found in energy drinks too, often enjoyed the effects of amphetamines and cocaine, especially in high doses, says a new study.
Not everyone who enjoys caffeine will abuse cocaine, they added, but the stimulating effects of these drugs make them particularly vulnerable, the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence reports.
The study is based on a group which was asked if it preferred caffeine to a placebo tablet. It was then given a type of amphetamine and asked to rate it. Most who liked the caffeine liked the drugs, a newspaper reported.
Stacey Sigmon, professor at Vermont University, US, said: "People differ dramatically in how they respond to drugs.
"For example, a single dose of a drug can produce completely opposite effects in two people with one absolutely loving and the other hating the drug`s effects.
"It is important to improve our understanding of these differences, as they may reflect key individual differences in vulnerability or resilience for drug abuse."
The study is the first to demonstrate caffeine prospectively predicts the positive subjective effects of another drug.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi