Love of coffee could hook you on drugs
London: Love of coffee could also get you hooked on drugs -- so beware, warn scientists.
Those who respond well to caffeine, found in energy drinks too, often enjoyed the effects of amphetamines and cocaine, especially in high doses, says a new study.
Not everyone who enjoys caffeine will abuse cocaine, they added, but the stimulating effects of these drugs make them particularly vulnerable, the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence reports.
The study is based on a group which was asked if it preferred caffeine to a placebo tablet. It was then given a type of amphetamine and asked to rate it. Most who liked the caffeine liked the drugs, a newspaper reported.
Stacey Sigmon, professor at Vermont University, US, said: "People differ dramatically in how they respond to drugs.
"For example, a single dose of a drug can produce completely opposite effects in two people with one absolutely loving and the other hating the drug`s effects.
"It is important to improve our understanding of these differences, as they may reflect key individual differences in vulnerability or resilience for drug abuse."
The study is the first to demonstrate caffeine prospectively predicts the positive subjective effects of another drug.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org