Poor eating habits may up cardiovascular disease risk later in life
Washington: How kids eat their food may turn out to be just as important as what they eat, according to a new study.
The study, led by Dr. Nav Persaud, a family physician, found a significant association between poor eating habits in kids ages three to five and their levels of non-HDL - or "bad" - cholesterol, putting them at risk for cardiovascular disease later in life.
The study looked at data from more than 1,000 preschoolers, who were recruited through TARGet Kids!, a collaboration between children`s doctors and researchers from St. Michael`s Hospital, the Hospital for Sick Children and the University of Toronto.
Parents filled out questionnaires assessing their child`s eating behaviours, and researchers looked at the child`s height, weight and fat profile in their blood.
They assigned risk based on ethnicity of the parents, as some groups are more prone to heart disease than others.
Dr. Persaud said if a child is watching TV while eating, they are less likely to notice natural cues telling them when they are full, and are more likely to eat an unbalanced meal.
The paper appeared online in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video