Substituting white button mushrooms for red meat helps lose weight
Washington: A new study has linked mushrooms to positive health outcomes in the area of weight management.
The one-year, randomized clinical trial conducted by researchers at the Weight Management Center at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and funded by the Mushroom Council found that substituting white button mushrooms for red meat can be a useful strategy for enhancing and maintaining weight loss.
Participants included obese adults (73 adults; 88 percent women; mean age 48.4 years) who were placed in an intervention group eating approximately one cup of mushrooms per day in place of meat, and a standard diet control group.
At the end of the one-year trial, researchers found that participants who substituted mushrooms for meat lost seven pounds, showed improvements in body composition compared to participants on the standard diet, and maintained the weight loss.
Specifically, those in the intervention group reported lower calorie and fat intake (123 calories, 4.25 grams respectively, per day); lost more pounds and percentage body weight (7 pounds, 3.6 percent of their starting weight); achieved lower body mass index (1.5kg/m2), waist circumference (2.6 inches) and percent total body fat (0.85 percent) compared to participants on the control diet.
The new findings build on previous research, which showed that increasing intake of low-energy-density foods, specifically mushrooms, in place of high-energy-density foods, like lean ground beef, can be an effective method for reducing daily energy and fat intake while still feeling full and satiated after the meal.2
The finding was published as an abstract in The FASEB Journal and presented at Experimental Biology 2013 (EB 2013).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister