Substituting white button mushrooms for red meat helps lose weight
Washington: A new study has linked mushrooms to positive health outcomes in the area of weight management.
The one-year, randomized clinical trial conducted by researchers at the Weight Management Center at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and funded by the Mushroom Council found that substituting white button mushrooms for red meat can be a useful strategy for enhancing and maintaining weight loss.
Participants included obese adults (73 adults; 88 percent women; mean age 48.4 years) who were placed in an intervention group eating approximately one cup of mushrooms per day in place of meat, and a standard diet control group.
At the end of the one-year trial, researchers found that participants who substituted mushrooms for meat lost seven pounds, showed improvements in body composition compared to participants on the standard diet, and maintained the weight loss.
Specifically, those in the intervention group reported lower calorie and fat intake (123 calories, 4.25 grams respectively, per day); lost more pounds and percentage body weight (7 pounds, 3.6 percent of their starting weight); achieved lower body mass index (1.5kg/m2), waist circumference (2.6 inches) and percent total body fat (0.85 percent) compared to participants on the control diet.
The new findings build on previous research, which showed that increasing intake of low-energy-density foods, specifically mushrooms, in place of high-energy-density foods, like lean ground beef, can be an effective method for reducing daily energy and fat intake while still feeling full and satiated after the meal.2
The finding was published as an abstract in The FASEB Journal and presented at Experimental Biology 2013 (EB 2013).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information