Tips to prevent water-borne diseases
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Water-borne disease or water-related diseases are any illness caused by recreational or drinking water contaminated by human or animal feces, which contains pathogenic microorganisms.
Some of the common water-borne diseases are: Typhoid fever, malaria, dysentery, diarrhea, cholera, hepatitis, worms, polio, etc.
According to the World Health Orgnaisation (WHO), water-borne diseases cause about 1.8 million human deaths annually, with various forms of waterborne diarrheal disease being the most prominent ones affecting mainly children in developing countries.
Here are several ways to prevent water-borne diseases:
- Drink only filtered/boiled water.
- Store water in a clean container,
- Water jars/containers should be washed daily.
- Always wash hands before and after preparing food or eating, likewise, children should be taught on hand washing.
- It is mandatory to wash hands with soaps or hand sanitisers after using washroom, changing your child's diaper .
- Consume warm and home cooked foods while avoiding street foods.
- Wash food thoroughly befor cooking.
- Always store foods/beverages covered.
- Make sure that the pipes and tanks that supply water to your house are properly maintained and clean.
- Using detergent and hot water, discard or flush any stool in the toilet.
- Travellers should only drink bottled water and avoid uncooked food.
- People suffering from water-borne diseases should not go to work untill fully recovered to avoid spreading.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'