Washington: Addressing a joint sitting of the US Congress, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday touched upon various issues including terrorism, yoga, economy, Indo-US strategic ties and civil nuclear cooperation.
In the course of his 45-minute speech, PM Modi not only covered all major aspects of the growing relationship between India and the US, but also included humour when he compared the functioning of the US Congress with the chaos in the Indian Parliament.
Here are the some top quotes of PM Modi's speech, which was well received by the American lawmakers, who interrupted his address more than 40 times to cheer him.
- Terrorism is being "incubated in India's neighbourhood".
- SIRI (an iPhone programme) tells us that India's ancient heritage of Yoga has over 30 million practitioners in the US. It is estimated that more Americans bend for yoga than to throw a curve ball.
- India lives as one; India grows as one and India celebrates as one.
- For my government, the Constitution is its real holy book. And, in that holy book, freedom of faith, speech and franchise, and equality of all citizens, regardless of background, are enshrined as fundamental rights.
- In every sector of India's forward march, I see the US as an indispensable partner.
- I am informed that the working of the US Congress is harmonious, he said much to everybody's laughter. I am also told that you are well-known for your bipartisanship. Well, you are not alone. Time and again, I have also witnessed a similar spirit in the Indian Parliament, especially in our Upper House.
- Connecting our two nations is also a unique and dynamic bridge of three million Indian Americans. They are among your best CEOs, academics, scientists, economics, doctors, even spelling bee champions.
Modi is the fifth Indian Prime Minister after Rajiv Gandhi, PV Narasimha Rao, Atul Bihari Vajpayee and Manmohan Singh to address a joint sitting of the US Congress.