12,005 explosions by militants in 23 yrs in J&K, 1
Jammu: Militants have triggered over 12,000 explosions and killed 1,770 people while injuring 15,725 persons during 23 years of militancy in Jammu and Kashmir, according to a new report compiled by state home ministry.
As many as 12,005 Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and grenade blasts were triggered by militants to target security personnel and civilians in Jammu and Kashmir since 1990 in which 1,770 persons were killed and 15,725 persons injured, the recently complied report up to November end said.
There have been 33 grenade attacks and IED explosions this year up to November end as compared to 41 last year, it said, adding that there has been increase in incidents of hurling of grenades this year as 28 grenades blasts were triggered by militants this year as compared to last year`s figure of 25.
As many as three people were killed in grenade attacks and IED explosions this year and 39 injured as compared to last year`s figures of seven deaths and injuries to 42 people.
Militants are using IEDs and grenades to cause casualties to security forces and civilians thereby avoiding direct conflict with security forces, a senior police officer said.
He said this is was part of their `target-and-hit` strategy to avoid their own casualties.
Of the 12,005 explosions, 5,725 were caused by IEDs and 6,278 by hurling grenades, the report said.
The highest number of 1,522 explosions took place in 1990 in which 12 persons were killed and 185 injured followed by 1,005 explosions in 1993 in which 79 persons were killed and 719 injured, the report said.
The highest number of 153 persons were killed and 1,021 injured in 945 blasts in 1995 followed by killing of 133 persons and injuring 1,443 persons in 775 blasts in 2001, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?