AJKPC accuses J&K govt of undermining autonomy of PRIs
Jammu: An organisation representing Panchayats on Monday accused the Jammu and Kashmir government of trying to undermine the autonomy of Panchayati Raj Institutions in the state.
"As per the Constitution of India, Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir and even as per the J-K Panchayati Raj Act 1989, there is no role of any MLA or minister in the functioning of any Panchayat and as per law, Panchayats are independent and autonomous bodies and not subordinate to any MLA or Minister," AJKPC general secretary Anil Sharma told reporters here.
He claimed that the state government had recently announced that Rs 10 lakh Panchayat development fund would be routed throughout the Constituency Development Fund (CDF) of MLAs.
"The state government is deliberately trying to compromise and invade the autonomy of PRIs," he alleged.
The All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Conference leader said the state government should clear its stand on the issue within a month, failing which after November 14, AJKPC will launch a full-fledged agitation.
"We warn the state government not to destabilise constitutional institutions like Panchayats which are the roots of democracy in the country and in the state," he said.
The AJKPC leader said these funds are provided by the Union government exclusively for the development of Panchayats and must be spent only after the assent of the Gram Sabhas.
On implementation of 73rd amendment of the Indian Constitution in the state, he said their stand remains firm on the demand and it would always be in their priority list along with seeking security for Panches and Sarpanches.
AJKPC would soon launch door-to-door awareness programmes to make citizens aware about the benefits of the 73rd amendment which gives Constitutional status to PRIs, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference