Army, infiltrators exchange sporadic fire, no fresh casualty
Srinagar: Army personnel and a group of heavily armed terrorists backed by suspected Pakistan Army Special Forces troopers exchanged sporadic fire along the Line of Control in Keran sector of Jammu and Kashmir for the tenth day today but there was no fresh report any casualty.
Intermittent firing between the 30-40 infiltrators and the Army continued throughout the night as security forces maintained a tight vigil over the cordoned off area, defence sources said.
Five Indian soldiers have been injured in the gunbattle that started on September 24, while 10 to 12 terrorists were believed killed in the operation launched to foil the major infiltration bid.
Army had yesterday termed as "absurd" the reports about capture of some Indian posts by the infiltrators, saying the troops are in total control of the operation.
"We are in total control of the operation. The reports of our posts being captured by the infiltrators are absurd," General Officer Commanding of the Army?s 15 Corps Lt General Gurmit Singh had said.
Although Lt Gen Singh maintained it will be premature to say whether the Pakistan Army was involved in infiltration, he said there were definite indications that some special troops were part of it.
He said the analysis of this infiltration bid indicated the involvement of Border Action Team (BAT), a mixture of Pakistani regulars and militants.
In Islamabad, a Pakistan military spokesperson today dismissed as "baseless" that its Army troops were involved in infiltration attempts.
Army sources said here the infiltrators carried out the attempt at the time when Army`s 20 Kumaon battalion was being replaced by the 3/3 Gorkha Rifles unit in the Keran sector.
The terrorists and their suspected Pakistan Army accomplices were holding on to their positions and are understood to have taken refuge in some abandoned old bunkers of the Army.
In the last major action by Pakistan Army BAT, an Indian Army patrol was attacked in the Poonch sector coinciding with the change of guard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says