High tension in J&K after Malik`s arrest
Srinagar: Security has been tightened as
tension prevailed in Maisuma and Lal Chowk areas of the city where markets remained closed following the arrest of JKLF
chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik.
Shops, schools and business establishments in Maisuma and
Lal Chowk areas remained closed and a large number of security
force personnel were deployed there to maintain law and order,
Malik was arrested yesterday as he tried to stage a sit-in protest against the arrest of a youth by police on Wednesday on charges of snatching money and beating up a cab driver.
The JKLF chairman`s arrest led to stone pelting in the
area and closure of the markets.
Apprehending fresh protests today, the authorities
stationed a large number of police and paramilitary personnel
equipped with riot gear in Maisuma, the officials said.
Police vehicles fitted with water cannons and other
non-lethal equipment of crowd control have also been put on
standby in the area, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Shravan 2016: Today is the first Somwar - Know what you need to do
- Eight dead, 20 missing in Malaysia boat accident
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids