High tension in J&K after Malik`s arrest
Srinagar: Security has been tightened as
tension prevailed in Maisuma and Lal Chowk areas of the city where markets remained closed following the arrest of JKLF
chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik.
Shops, schools and business establishments in Maisuma and
Lal Chowk areas remained closed and a large number of security
force personnel were deployed there to maintain law and order,
Malik was arrested yesterday as he tried to stage a sit-in protest against the arrest of a youth by police on Wednesday on charges of snatching money and beating up a cab driver.
The JKLF chairman`s arrest led to stone pelting in the
area and closure of the markets.
Apprehending fresh protests today, the authorities
stationed a large number of police and paramilitary personnel
equipped with riot gear in Maisuma, the officials said.
Police vehicles fitted with water cannons and other
non-lethal equipment of crowd control have also been put on
standby in the area, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future