High tension in J&K after Malik`s arrest
Srinagar: Security has been tightened as
tension prevailed in Maisuma and Lal Chowk areas of the city where markets remained closed following the arrest of JKLF
chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik.
Shops, schools and business establishments in Maisuma and
Lal Chowk areas remained closed and a large number of security
force personnel were deployed there to maintain law and order,
Malik was arrested yesterday as he tried to stage a sit-in protest against the arrest of a youth by police on Wednesday on charges of snatching money and beating up a cab driver.
The JKLF chairman`s arrest led to stone pelting in the
area and closure of the markets.
Apprehending fresh protests today, the authorities
stationed a large number of police and paramilitary personnel
equipped with riot gear in Maisuma, the officials said.
Police vehicles fitted with water cannons and other
non-lethal equipment of crowd control have also been put on
standby in the area, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened