High tension in J&K after Malik`s arrest
Srinagar: Security has been tightened as
tension prevailed in Maisuma and Lal Chowk areas of the city where markets remained closed following the arrest of JKLF
chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik.
Shops, schools and business establishments in Maisuma and
Lal Chowk areas remained closed and a large number of security
force personnel were deployed there to maintain law and order,
Malik was arrested yesterday as he tried to stage a sit-in protest against the arrest of a youth by police on Wednesday on charges of snatching money and beating up a cab driver.
The JKLF chairman`s arrest led to stone pelting in the
area and closure of the markets.
Apprehending fresh protests today, the authorities
stationed a large number of police and paramilitary personnel
equipped with riot gear in Maisuma, the officials said.
Police vehicles fitted with water cannons and other
non-lethal equipment of crowd control have also been put on
standby in the area, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi