J&K Highway closed for third day, 400 vehicles stranded
Jammu: Vehicular movement remained suspended on the 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar National Highway for the third consecutive day on Tuesday, as over 400 vehicles and passengers were stranded at various places.
"The highway was closed for traffic for the third day due to heavy snowfall and landslides at various places en route", police officials said.
Over 400 vehicles, including 60 Light Motor Vehicles (LMVs) and mostly trucks, were stranded at various places on the highway at Banihal, Ramban, Patnitop, Kud and Udhampur areas due to closure of the highway, they said.
Over 400 passengers are also stranded on the highway, they said.
The men and machines of Border Road Organisation (BRO) are working to clear the highway of snow and landslides but bad weather, snowfall and heavy rainfall together are making the task difficult, they said.
Traffic towards Kashmir valley has been stopped at Nagrota and Sidhra by the traffic police and over 1000 vehicles remain stranded there.
Rains continue to lash the plains of Jammu and other areas whereas continued snowfall was reported in Pirpanchal ranges, upper reaches of Kishtwar, Ramban, Doda, Poonch and Kathua districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune