J&K Highway closed for third day, 400 vehicles stranded
Jammu: Vehicular movement remained suspended on the 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar National Highway for the third consecutive day on Tuesday, as over 400 vehicles and passengers were stranded at various places.
"The highway was closed for traffic for the third day due to heavy snowfall and landslides at various places en route", police officials said.
Over 400 vehicles, including 60 Light Motor Vehicles (LMVs) and mostly trucks, were stranded at various places on the highway at Banihal, Ramban, Patnitop, Kud and Udhampur areas due to closure of the highway, they said.
Over 400 passengers are also stranded on the highway, they said.
The men and machines of Border Road Organisation (BRO) are working to clear the highway of snow and landslides but bad weather, snowfall and heavy rainfall together are making the task difficult, they said.
Traffic towards Kashmir valley has been stopped at Nagrota and Sidhra by the traffic police and over 1000 vehicles remain stranded there.
Rains continue to lash the plains of Jammu and other areas whereas continued snowfall was reported in Pirpanchal ranges, upper reaches of Kishtwar, Ramban, Doda, Poonch and Kathua districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...