Leh records season`s lowest night temp in J&K
Srinagar: Leh, in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, witnessed the coldest night of the season so far with the mercury plummeting to minus 12.6 degrees Celsius as the cold wave continues in the Valley where most parts registered sub-zero temperatures.
Leh recorded a night temperature of minus 12.6 degrees Celsius against the previous night`s minus 11.4 degrees Celsius, making it the coldest night so far this season, a MET Department official said here today.
He said the minimum temperatures in all the other places in the valley as well as in Kargil increased slightly though most of them stayed below the freezing point.
Kargil town recorded a low of minus 7.0 degrees Celsius, compared to last night`s minus 7.8 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The minimum in summer capital Srinagar remained almost same at the previous night`s low of minus 2.7 degrees Celsius, as the mercury settled at a low of minus 2.6 degrees Celsius, he said, adding it was two degrees below the normal for this part of the season.
The official said the night temperature in Pahalgam, a tourist resort which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra in south Kashmir, increased from the previous night`s low of minus 4.6 degrees Celsius to settle at a low of minus 3.8 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter