Moderate intensity earthquake in Jammu and Kashmir
Srinagar: A moderate intensity earthquake shook Srinagar and adjoining areas today but there was no report of any casualty, officials said.
"A moderate earthquake of 5. 7 magnitude on Richter scale was felt in Srinagar and adjoining areas at 2.57 pm," a spokesman of the MET office said.
He said the epicentre of the earthquake was in Hindukush mountain region in Afghanistan at a latitude of 34.57 degrees North and longitude of 70.22 degrees East.
A police spokesman said there was no report of any casualty or damage to property.
The tremor, which lasted for a few seconds, caused panic among the people, many of whom were seen rushing out of buildings for safety.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17