Moderate intensity earthquake in Jammu and Kashmir
Srinagar: A moderate intensity earthquake shook Srinagar and adjoining areas today but there was no report of any casualty, officials said.
"A moderate earthquake of 5. 7 magnitude on Richter scale was felt in Srinagar and adjoining areas at 2.57 pm," a spokesman of the MET office said.
He said the epicentre of the earthquake was in Hindukush mountain region in Afghanistan at a latitude of 34.57 degrees North and longitude of 70.22 degrees East.
A police spokesman said there was no report of any casualty or damage to property.
The tremor, which lasted for a few seconds, caused panic among the people, many of whom were seen rushing out of buildings for safety.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16