No respite from cold in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: There was no respite for residents
of Kashmir as mercury across the Valley remained below the freezing point for the third consecutive day Wednesday.
In the summer capital Srinagar, the minimum temperature
was recorded at minus 3.3 degrees Celsius, an decrease of 0.5
degrees from last night, a MeT official said.
Srinagar city yesterday recorded the maximum temperature
of minus 1.0 degrees Celsius which was the coldest day in many
North Kashmir`s Gulmarg resort recorded a low of minus
14.8 degrees Celsius, an increase of 1.4 degrees from last
In Pahalgam resort of south Kashmir, mercury touched a
low of minus 10.7 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The south Kashmir gateway town of Qazigund recorded a minimum of minus 5.4 degrees Celsius, while north Kashmir`s frontier Kupwara town recorded a low of minus 4.4 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said.
Residents of the Valley have been making extra efforts to
keep themselves warm from the extreme weather using more
woolens and burning small fires by roadsides to shield from
Kashmir has been witnessing the most harsh part of
winter, locally called Chillai-Kalaan, a 40-day period which
began in late December and lasts throughout January.
Water supply was severely affected as the chilling
weather froze the supply pipes to houses.
Meanwhile, mercury in Leh town of remote Ladakh region
had plunged to an extreme minus 18.4 degrees Celsius while the
minimum temperature in adjoining Kargil district was recorded
at minus 17.4 degrees Celsius, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!