No respite from cold in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: There was no respite for residents
of Kashmir as mercury across the Valley remained below the freezing point for the third consecutive day Wednesday.
In the summer capital Srinagar, the minimum temperature
was recorded at minus 3.3 degrees Celsius, an decrease of 0.5
degrees from last night, a MeT official said.
Srinagar city yesterday recorded the maximum temperature
of minus 1.0 degrees Celsius which was the coldest day in many
North Kashmir`s Gulmarg resort recorded a low of minus
14.8 degrees Celsius, an increase of 1.4 degrees from last
In Pahalgam resort of south Kashmir, mercury touched a
low of minus 10.7 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The south Kashmir gateway town of Qazigund recorded a minimum of minus 5.4 degrees Celsius, while north Kashmir`s frontier Kupwara town recorded a low of minus 4.4 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said.
Residents of the Valley have been making extra efforts to
keep themselves warm from the extreme weather using more
woolens and burning small fires by roadsides to shield from
Kashmir has been witnessing the most harsh part of
winter, locally called Chillai-Kalaan, a 40-day period which
began in late December and lasts throughout January.
Water supply was severely affected as the chilling
weather froze the supply pipes to houses.
Meanwhile, mercury in Leh town of remote Ladakh region
had plunged to an extreme minus 18.4 degrees Celsius while the
minimum temperature in adjoining Kargil district was recorded
at minus 17.4 degrees Celsius, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...