Omar directs for holding Omar Abdullah by Dec
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has instructed Rural Development and Housing and Urban Development Departments to take steps necessary for holding elections to Block Development Councils and Urban Local Bodies by December this year.
Omar issued the instructions to the two nodal departments yesterday, an official spokesman said.
Block Development Council elections will lead to formation of the second tier of the three-tier Panchayati Raj system in the state. The Panchayat elections were held in the state last year after a gap of over three decades.
The urban local bodies` elections were due in 2010 but had to be postponed due to the summer agitation in the Valley.
The government had planned to hold these elections early this year but put off the polls in view of heavy tourism rush to the Valley.
The delay in holding the elections has translated into loss of hundreds of crores to the state in central assistance under various schemes meant for development of urban areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling