Omar directs for holding Omar Abdullah by Dec
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has instructed Rural Development and Housing and Urban Development Departments to take steps necessary for holding elections to Block Development Councils and Urban Local Bodies by December this year.
Omar issued the instructions to the two nodal departments yesterday, an official spokesman said.
Block Development Council elections will lead to formation of the second tier of the three-tier Panchayati Raj system in the state. The Panchayat elections were held in the state last year after a gap of over three decades.
The urban local bodies` elections were due in 2010 but had to be postponed due to the summer agitation in the Valley.
The government had planned to hold these elections early this year but put off the polls in view of heavy tourism rush to the Valley.
The delay in holding the elections has translated into loss of hundreds of crores to the state in central assistance under various schemes meant for development of urban areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next