Over 1 lakh devotees visit Amarnath cave in 7 days
Srinagar: With 12,000 pilgrims being allowed to move towards the Amarnath cave shrine in Jammu and Kashmir Tuesday morning, more than 100,000 people have performed the pilgrimage in seven days, an official said.
"More than one lakh yatris have performed the yatra during the last seven days. Today, over 6,000 pilgrims moved towards the cave shrine from the north Kashmir Baltal base camp while an equal number was allowed to move from the south Kashmir Pahalgam base camp," said a government official here.
"The weather has improved along both the yatra treks and this will facilitate clearing of the stranded pilgrims at the base camps," he said.
This year`s pilgrimage to the 13,500 ft high cave shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva has been posing serious challenges of management and regulation to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
"The huge rush of unregistered devotees has become a major challenge for us. It has now been decided to give on-the-spot registration to the pilgrims who are arriving here without any prior information," said an SASB official at Baltal.
The pilgrimage, which began June 29, resumed Monday after being halted for a day due to bad weather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day