PDP alleges rampant corruption in J&K machinery
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Saturday alleged that there is rampant corruption in Jammu and Kashmir`s administrative machinery as the state has fallen into the stranglehold of corruption-driven vested interests.
"The state has completely fallen into the stranglehold of vested interest that is engaged in brazen loot of public exchequer and national wealth," PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said at a party gathering in Budgam district.
The former chief minister further said the situation cannot be retrieved under the present dispensation as it has "deliberately subverted" institutions of vigilance, transparency and probity.
"The present government had subverted the institutions like State Accountability Commission, State Vigilance Commission, State Information Commission and the vigilance department..." he alleged.
He said if voted to power, the PDP will launch a war against corruption in public life and start with enforcing accountability in higher positions.
Sayeed said during PDP rule, the state accountability commission was made equivalent to the Lokpal, but it could not fulfil its purpose due to present government`s "inability" to provide support to the institution.
"In absence of an independent investigation arm and ability of the government to provide support to it the institution had lost its relevance with action on most of the cases taken up by it halted through judicial intervention over technical niceties," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price