Rohtang Pass reopens after five months
Manali: Rohtang Pass, the crucial road link between this tourist resort town in Kullu district and Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh, re-opened for traffic Wednesday after remaining closed for five months due to heavy snowfall, an official said here.
"The snow-clearing operation is over and road connectivity with the Lahaul Valley has been restored," A.K. Dikshit, commander of the 38 Task Force of the General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF) said.
GREF is a wing of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) that maintains crucial highways in the country.
More than a dozen villages in the Lahaul Valley were cut off from the rest of the country since late December last year after the closure of the pass.
"We are regulating the movement of traffic as the road is still slippery. Till May 31, only a few public transport buses will be allowed to ply between Manali and Keylong," Dikshit said.
The majestic 13,051-feet-high Rohtang Pass, located 52 km from Manali, lies on the Manali-Leh National Highway-21.
Another GREF official said the entire stretch of the 475 km Manali-Leh highway would be re-opened for traffic by the first week of June.
The idyllic and pastoral settings of the Himalayas beyond the pass have been drawing an increasing number of backpackers, especially foreigners, for adventure-related activities like mountain biking, rock-climbing and cross-jungle trekking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!