Girl gets poor marks, made to beg by father
Mysore: In a shocking incident, a 12-year-old girl was forced to beg by her father in Mysore after she scored poorly in her exams.
Prakash Swamy, who works as a senior assistant lab technician, forced his daughter to beg in her school uniform in front of a city temple as he was upset with her for faring badly in Class VII exams.
The girl, who was weeping while sitting in front of the temple, was taken to a police station by an NGO worker.
The police then arrested Prakash and produced him before a local court which granted him bail. A case has been registered against him under the Juvenile Justice Act.
Justifying his action, Prakash told cops that his “intention was to teach her the hardships of life".
"My father used to shout at me every day for getting out of bed late and not scoring good marks. He was very angry yesterday and gave me an aluminium bowl before forcibly making me beg near a temple," the girl told police, as per a newspaper.
The girl for now is in the custody of Child Welfare Committee, as the father is refusing to accept her saying she has "spoilt his reputation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus