Women, child trafficking on increase in Karnataka
Bangalore: The number of women and child trafficking cases in Karnataka has been on the increase in the last five years with a total of 3,234 such offences being reported during the period, Deputy Chief Minister R Ashoka said on Monday.
In the last five years, there had been as many as 3,234 cases of women and child tarifficking reported in the state, he told the Legislative Council replying to the issue raised by Congress member RV Venkatesh.
Ashoka, who holds the Home portfolio, said in 2007 there were 440 cases which rose to 488 the next year and to 534 in 2009. While in 2010 and 2011 there were 697 and 672 cases reported respectively, as many as 403 cases had been reported till June this year.
The government has taken adequate steps to control the menace, he said adding anti-human trafficking units have been set up in Bangalore city, Mysore, Hubli-Dharwad, Belgaum and Dakshin Kannada districts.
The government is considering setting up such units in four other districts of Gulbarga, Raichur, Kolar and Davanagere, Ashok said.
Training programmes have been orgainised for police officers and prosecutors regarding anti-human trafficking initiatives, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried