Army operationally prepared to meet any contingency: Singh
Thiruvananthapuram: Army Chief Gen VK Singh on Tuesday said the force was operationally prepared to meet any contingency, days after he highlighted major "shortcomings" in the country`s defence preparedness.
On corruption in defence deals, he said it was important to ensure probity and transparency.
Speaking about defence preparedness of the country, the Army Chief said, "With great confidence, I can say that operationally we are prepared to take on any contingency that can arise."
Singh said defence preparedness was a large field that comprises training of troops, morale of the troops and the type of equipment and other things.
In a letter to the Prime Minister on March 12, Gen Singh had complained about lack of defence preparedness and ammunition. He had also pointed out the obsolescence of air defence systems in the force.The leakage of the letter in the media had triggered a controversy.
Maintaining that adequate measures were being taken to check corruption, he said, "Corruption has always been a major issue. We had people fighting against corruption for long time. Certain exposes have come up in recent times in various fields which included the defence sector also."
"Our thrust area is to ensure transparency and probity and also to ensure that middlemen and dealers who indulge in wrong practices are checked," he said.
He said it was also important that the defence forces were not saddled with sub-standard equipment.
Singh said it required wide ranging changes in the entire system in which the Army was only a minuscule part of it.
Gen Singh, who was the chief guest at the release of the Army-commissioned book on north eastern region "North East Trilogy", said the area was now much more peaceful than it was five years ago.
Citing examples of different north eastern states, he said the Army was closely working with state governments to bring insurgents to negotiation with the government.
Asked about the "threat perception" posed by China to that region, he said, "China is our neighbour."
He, however, said when you have a border that has not been settled, there can be all types of things happening. I do not want to say more on that", he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’