Sunitha Krishnan appointed advisor for Kerala women`s project
Thiruvananthapuram: Noted social activist Sunitha Krishnan has been appointed as the state advisor to the government`s project `Nirbhaya` for protection of women and children.
Krishnan is currently chief of Hyderabad-based Non-Governmental Organisation `Prajjwala`, which works in the area of rehabilitation and welfare of women and children rescued from miserable conditions.
Through the innovative scheme `Nirbhaya` (fearless), the government aims at making the state women-friendly where women can safely travel even during night, an official release said.
The scheme also envisages setting up of special Fast Track Courts for early disposal of sexual harassment cases and other cases involving violence against women.
The scheme is being jointly implemented by various government departments like social welfare, SC/ST, police, health, labour and local self government in co-ordination with NGOs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites