Poll defeat in four states disappointing: Digvijay Singh
Bhopal: Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh said here on Friday that results of the recent assembly elections in four states of Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi and Chhattisgarh where his party lost, were very disappointing for him.
He told reporters today that as per his assessment, the Congress should have got 110 to 120 of the total 230 seats in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly.
One of the main reasons for the party`s defeat in Madhya Pradesh was that the party was almost totally wiped out in the Malwa region of the state, he said.
He said compared to the last elections, the Congress vote share had gone up in Madhya Pradesh, but added that votes polled by the BJP had also gone up.
Asked about when the Congress leadership would name a new state president for the Madhya Pradesh unit of the party, Singh said that a decision is likely to be taken soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’