Poll defeat in four states disappointing: Digvijay Singh
Bhopal: Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh said here on Friday that results of the recent assembly elections in four states of Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi and Chhattisgarh where his party lost, were very disappointing for him.
He told reporters today that as per his assessment, the Congress should have got 110 to 120 of the total 230 seats in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly.
One of the main reasons for the party`s defeat in Madhya Pradesh was that the party was almost totally wiped out in the Malwa region of the state, he said.
He said compared to the last elections, the Congress vote share had gone up in Madhya Pradesh, but added that votes polled by the BJP had also gone up.
Asked about when the Congress leadership would name a new state president for the Madhya Pradesh unit of the party, Singh said that a decision is likely to be taken soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Wimbledon: Victoria Azarenka suffers knee injury, withdraws from the tournament
- Rio Olympics: Graem McDowell turns down the chance to take Rory McIlroy`s spot
- China, Russia bilateral relation has reached unprecedented level: Putin
- Anil Kumble: It's a great honour to be back in Indian dressing room in different role
- India vs Zimbabwe PHOTO: When MS Dhoni shared red-eye selfie on Facebook