Body of Indian-origin teenage girl found dead
London: An Indian-origin teenage girl in Wales missing since December is dead, police have confirmed.
Nida Naseer, 19, was last seen at her home in Linton Street in Newport, at 8 pm on December 28. Since then her mobile phone had also not been used.
Her body was recovered from an estuary.
Gwent Police said formal identification of the body found in Newport on Thursday has been carried out and that it is that of Naseer, who disappeared nearly three months ago after going to put the bins out at her home.
Inspector Christ Haire said, "We can confirm that the body is sadly that of Nida Naseer. A post-mortem examination will be carried out - the death remains unexplained".
Members of Naseer`s family have been notified, he said.
The teenager`s older sister, Shamyla, 23, told a press conference earlier this year that she believed Nida`s disappearance was due to her being upset about being unable to attend university.
Despite getting good grades, Naseer`s status as a failed asylum seeker meant she would not receive any funding to study for a degree.
Her family could not afford to pay for her studies.
Relatives and police described her vanishing as "totally out of character" - especially as she needs medication which stops her from becoming anaemic.
Earlier this month, police said they had decided to stop ground searches for the teenager.
Superintendent Mark Warrender, local policing commander for Newport said, "This is an extremely tragic case and our sincere condolences remain with the family. Since Nida went missing we have remained hopeful that she would be found safe and well and reunited with her family".
"Thursday`s discovery was a very sad development for me and the investigative team who have remained committed to finding Nida since the night she was reported missing by her family. We continue to support them at this dreadful time, and on their behalf can I please ask that they now be left alone to grieve," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’