Dengue cases near 1000 mark, five deaths so far
New Delhi: Five dengue deaths have been reported so far in the national capital even as the total number of cases shot up alarmingly to near 1,000 mark.
912 people have tested positive for dengue, an increase of over 95 per cent in five days from the previous tally of 446 reported on September 14.
Since, the municipal bodies follow the Elisa Test for diagnosis as per the central government guidelines, they have confirmed only two deaths while the the rest three cases are "suspected dengue death cases", a report released by the civic body, said.
The victims confirmed by MCD are - Phool Singh (47), resident of Ashok Nagar area, and Priyanka of Pratap Nagar area who died on who died on September 5 and September 9 respectively, the report said.
The victims put under the suspected death cases include, Tarun Indooria (28), a contractual employee with the MCD, who was working as a Domestic Breeder Checker (DBC) and was the first death reported this year on September 1.
The other victims under the suspected category are -- Sunita (35) of Sujan Singh Park and Dr Raman Arora (56) from Sarita Vihar, both of whom died on September 9 at the Moolchand Hospital, the report said.
For Delhi region till yesterday, 888 dengue cases have been reported, while 24 have been reported from Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and other states, it said.
While figures for various corporations are North (477), South (228) and East (123), 60 cases were reported from regions in Delhi outside the jurisdiction of MCD.
Most number of cases came were still reported from Rohini (192) and Narela (109) in the North Zone.
Reacting on the report, North Delhi and East Delhi municipal corporations Public Relations Officer Yogendra Singh Mann said, "our death tally is still at two, because we accept only Elisa tests and not the Rapid Diagnosis Kit tests used in the other three cases as reported".
"Also, the figure of 912 is not an instant jump as few backlog cases have also been included. But, we are taking all the due measures as prescribed. We have already conducted health screenings in the victims` neighborhoods and fumigation and spraying are also being carried out," Mann told on news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day