Husain surrenders his Indian passport in Doha
Dubai: Legendary painter MF Husain, who was recently granted Qatari citizenship, has surrendered his Indian passport to the country`s mission in Doha, a media report said today.
95-year-old Husain, revered by many as India`s Picasso, yesterday went to the country`s mission in Doha and surrendered his Indian passport, the Gulf Times reported.
Husain, who has been living in self-imposed exile for nearly four years following a spate of cases in India over his controversial paintings of Hindu goddesses, had accepted
Qatar`s offer and would no longer be an Indian, his son Owais Husain told reporters recently.
India does not recognise dual citizenship. So, "in such a situation, surrendering passport by the person concerned is mandatory and Husain has only done that," an Indian Embassy official was quoted as saying by the paper.
The artist has also applied for the Overseas Citizen of India card, the mission sources said, adding the embassy has facilitated all requirements for him to obtain the OCI
He also had a nearly two-hour meeting with Indian Ambassador in Qatar Deepa Gopalan Wadhwa, the sources said.
Husain, who shuttles between Dubai and London, went in exile after a hate campaign was launched against him in 2006 over his controversial paintings several cases were filed against him by people protesting his portrayal of Hindu goddesses in the nude. His house was attacked and art works vandalised by fundamentalists in India.
Indian government has described Husain as "pride of India" and said it was willing to provide security to him.
"There is no case against MF Husain. Supreme Court has quashed all the cases against him," Home Secretary GK Pillai had recently said. He said the government was ready to
provide security to the artist if he planned to return.
"He (Husain) is the pride of India," Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao had said, adding, "I would like him to feel safe and secure in India".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog