India, Australia to finalise uranium safeguards agreement?
Melbourne: India and Australia are likely to initiate talks on a nuclear safeguards treaty during Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard`s visit to New Delhi next week that would eventually open up uranium sales to the Asian giant.
Gillard will arrive in New Delhi on Monday for a three-day visit.
She will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other senior government ministers, apart from calling on President Pranab Mukherjee and Congress party leader Sonia Gandhi. She will also meet leader of the opposition Sushma Swaraj.
According to a report in `The Australian`, it was understood that during her visit to India Gillard would be looking at opening up negotiations on a safeguard treaty that would be required before uranium exports could commence.
The report quoted official sources as saying that a significant amount of work would still be needed despite Australia`s agreement to open the door to potential uranium sales to India.
"Any treaty would include the same safeguards as contained in the treaty, as well as strict rules on access to nuclear facilities in India," it said.
In December last year, Australia`s ruling Labour Party led by Gillard cleared the way for export of Australian uranium to India after a strong debate on the floor of the party`s 46th national conference.
Despite resistance from opponents, the landmark policy change was carried out, paving the way for the first Australian country-to-country agreement to sell the yellow cake to a country outside the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
Australia`s known uranium resources are the world`s largest - 31 percent of the world total. In 2011-12 Australia produced 7,700 tonnes of uranium oxide concentrate. It is the world`s third-ranking producer, behind Kazakhstan and Canada, according to the World Nuclear Association.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know