India is aware of China`s military modernisation: Antony
New Delhi: The government is aware of China`s military modernisation and infrastructure development along the Sino-India border and it regularly reviews the threats to national security, Defence Minister A K Antony told the Lok Sabha on Monday.
Development of infrastructure and operational capabilities to achieve desired defence preparedness to safeguard sovereignty, territorial integrity and security of India are an ongoing activity, he said in a written reply.
The government "is aware of China`s military modernisation and infrastructure development along the India-China border. Government reviews the threat perceptions which impact national security regularly and initiates required measures," he said.
On whether cases of intrusions by Chinese Army in Arunachal Pradesh have come to light, he said such incidents are taken up through established mechanisms.
"Along the border with China there are sectors where both countries have differing perceptions of the border. Both sides patrol upto their respective perceptions of the border or Line of Actual Control (LAC)," he said.
Incidents of transgressions are taken up with the Chinese side through established mechanisms of Hot Lines, Flag Meetings, Border Personnel Meetings and normal diplomatic channels, he said.
To a separate question on the visit of a military delegation to China recently, Antony said, "The purpose of these visits is to promote mutual trust and confidence between both countries."
On rail-road link upto border areas, Antony said, the government has identified strategically important border roads and railway lines for development for improving the operational capabilities of the forces in phased manner.
About his tour of Myanmar in January this year, the Minister said, "During the visit, discussions were held with the Myanmar side on issues relating to border management cooperation, armed forces interaction and other defence and security matters of mutual interest."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday