India to `stabilise` present missile programme: Antony
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Monday indicated that India will first "stabilise" its present missile programmes before thinking of starting any project for having capabilities to strike targets at longer distances than the 5,500 km-range Agni-V.
"Don`t be impatient. Let the present Agni series stabilise," he said when asked if India was working on any programme such as Agni-6 after the success of 5,500 km-plus range Agni-5 earlier this year.
The Defence Minister was talking to reporters after delivering DRDO excellence awards here.
So far, the DRDO has conducted only one test of the Agni-V and is planning to carry out more such test-firings in the future for its induction in operational service.
The Minister advised stakeholders to adopt a consortium approach involving academic institutions and industries to act as a cohesive team to explore all aspects of nanotechnology for development of missiles, aeronautics, armaments and combat vehicles.
Praising the research agency, Antony said production of DRDO-developed systems already inducted in the armed forces is worth Rs 42,000 crore but cautioned it against complacency.
"If DRDO lags behind, technology being developed by it will become obsolete and it will not be able to provide state-of-the-art equipment to our forces. It must be the endeavour of all scientists to be innovative and creative in thought and action," he added.
The awardees at today`s function included `missile-woman of India` Tessy Thomas for her contributions to the Agni-4 programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow