Indian-Americans` interest in lobbying for Indo-US ties waning
Washington: With Indo-US relationship blossoming under Obama Administration, interest of the small but powerful Indian-American community to lobby for closer bilateral ties appears to be waning, reflected in the sharp drop in membership to the Congressional Caucus on India.
The Congressional Caucus on India and Indian-Americans which was established in 1994 when the ties between the two countries were still in a nascent phase, had grown to a record 186 members of the US House of Representatives.
For more than a decade the Congressional Caucus was considered to be a driver of India-US bilateral relationship, and played a key role in the passage of the historic civilian nuclear deal.
However, latest figures reveal this number has dropped to about 110 Congressmen, which is mainly because there has been no fresh drive from the Indian-American community asking their representatives to join the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian-Americans.
In the last 112th Congress there were 135 members.
The numbers have mainly dropped either of retirement or defeat of previous members.
"It is not lack of interest on part of lawmakers. It is the lack of interest on the part of the Indian-Americans. Lawmakers need to be reminded. If asked most of the lawmakers are always willing to oblige their active constituents," Ashok Mago, a Dallas-based prominent community leader, told PTI.
Sampat Shivangi, president of the bi-partisan Indian- American Forum for Political Education (IAFPE) agreed with the view as well.
"India centric issue like civil US-India Nuclear treaty galvanised the Indian-American community, Government of India and Indian Embassy which shot up the India Congressional Caucus number around 185 with united efforts of all these groups," Shivangi said.
"Now there is no burning issue and the enthusiasm has weaned in this process," he said.
In November IAFPE had held a Congressional reception at the Capitol Hill during which at least three Congressmen announced their decision to join the Caucus.
But in the absence of follow-up from local Indian- American leaders, they are yet to formally join the India Caucus.
Shivangi said that there is a need to find other galvanising issues so that Indian-Americans are motivated to work for the bilateral relationship.
India`s permanent membership to the UN Security Council could be one, he noted.
"This just cause if taken seriously would galvanize above said groups to unite and move forward," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in