‘It was like Shiva dancing in rage in Uttarakhand’
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Minister Shobha Karandlaje, who returned to Bangalore after remaining stranded for four days at Rudraprayag in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand, on Friday said it was a harrowing experience as her group of 1,000 pilgrims had to spend sleepless nights sandwiched between high mountains and flooded Ganga river.
"The disaster in Uttarakhand reminded me of Hollywood film `2012`, which I saw some years ago. I also felt that Lord Shiva was dancing in rage, probably angered due to degradation of ecology taking place in Rudraprayag area," she said narrating her harrowing experience to reporters.
`2012` is an American science fiction film based on disaster story.
"We were around thousand people in our group," Karandlaje, who was a member in the previous BJP ministry and later joined former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa`s KJP, said.
The landslide started on June 15 when she was returning from Gangotri. "I was lucky that my car reached a safe place. Three people, who were in a vehicle behind us, died after the vehicle fell into a ditch."
"We were sandwiched between high mountains and flooded Ganga river downwards. On top of the hill landslides were taking place. For one night I could not even get out of my car," she added.
She said after travelling a while she was stranded in her car at Kandiakhand and had to reach Budla by climbing a hill. "We were stranded at Budla for four days," she said.
Karandlaje said the pilgrims in her group were from West Bengal, Maharashtra and Rajasthan and majority were old women and children. They had minimal food supply and children fell sick and there was no doctor to attend to them. "We could not sleep either due to the rising river water or the possibility of more landslides," she said.
She said the locals helped her group to fetch water from far off places on their bikes as going closer to the river was dangerous.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended