Narendra Modi to interact with people at 1,000 tea stalls
Ahmedabad: In an apparent bid to cash in on his humble background as a tea seller, Narendra Modi will interact with people at 1,000 tea stalls in 300 cities from next month.
"Modi will interact with people at 1,000 tea shops across 300 cities from February 1 through internet and DTH (Direct To Home). He will discuss basic issues with them," a member related to the campaign management team of BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate said.
The Gujarat Chief Minister will also address five `nukkad` meetings - `Chai pe charcha with NaMo` - a day with tea vendors.
The live interaction with people at tea stalls comes in the backdrop of Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar`s jibe at Modi`s background as a tea vendor.
Aiyar had said a place will be identified for the Gujarat Chief Minister to distribute tea at the AICC meeting in Delhi.
"I promise you in the 21st century Narendra Modi will never become the Prime Minister of the country. ...But if he wants to distribute tea here, we will find a place for him," Aiyar had said at the venue of the AICC meeting in New Delhi two days ago.
In his speech at BJP`s national council meeting in New Delhi today, Modi himself invoked his humble origins to hit back at Congress and its Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, saying "those born in an aristocratic clan" feel it below their dignity to contest against a tea vendor hailing from a backward class as they had a "feudal mindset".
Samajwadi Party leader Naresh Agarwal had earlier made similar remarks against Modi, saying a person who used to sell tea cannot have a national perspective.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch